Investing in environmental solutions
Jupiter has a longstanding track record of commitment to sustainable investing, dating back more than 30 years. The Environmental Solutions team has been at the forefront of the transition to a more sustainable world, an aim which is more important than ever. Launched in 1988, the Jupiter Ecology Strategy invests in companies that provide solutions to vital challenges facing the world we live in. These environmental solutions companies provide critical products and services to help businesses achieve sustainability targets. We believe the market for environmental solutions is broad and growing. The strategy offers investors the opportunity to align their investment goals with the desire for positive change and a more sustainable global economy.
The challenges of climate change and natural capital protection
The economy is embedded in the biosphere… and our biosphere is facing severe degradation
Defining environmental objectives and shaping robust, long-term investment opportunities
Growth through sustainability
The objective of the Jupiter Ecology Strategy is to provide long-term capital growth and income by investing in companies whose core products and services address global sustainability challenges. The formal objectives of the strategy have been updated to confirm that 90% of the portfolio (including cash) is to be invested in companies focusing on environmental solutions. Typically, a company will only be considered for investment if it has at least half of its revenues attributable to products and services that meet the thematic criteria. Only in exceptional circumstances where a company is clearly moving to this direction within two years, would a company be considered otherwise.
Active, specialist, collaborative, long-term horizon developed over 30 years
- Active management: Specialist exposure to global, long-term investment opportunities across six environmental solution themes
- Team approach: Collaborative approach across Jupiter’s Sustainable Investing range, global equities, governance and data teams (from GED brochure)
- Investment horizons: Typically, 5-7 year time horizon, incorporating a multi-year impact perspective
- Style: Natural bias to mid-cap and value-growth blend. Weighted average capitalisation of GBP10bln
- Portfolio construction: c. 50-70 stocks. Typically, 1-5% position sizes
- Risk management: Quarterly risk review, monthly risk team reports, daily desk risk analysis (please confirm this is relevant to Ecology Strategy)
Six interconnected environmental solutions investment themes
The strategy focuses on six interconnected themes to provide investors access to the depth and breadth of environmental solutions.
The increasingly pivotal role that sustainability issues play in global development generates multi-decade opportunities for companies providing solutions to associated long-term challenges.
Our approach in context
Get in touch
Jupiter Ecology Strategy risks
• The Key Investor Information Document, Supplementary Information Document and Scheme Particulars are available from Jupiter on request.
• Market and exchange rate movements can cause the value of an investment to fall as well as rise, and you may get back less than originally invested.
Meet the team
Experienced and well-resourced investment team
Click the button below to download all strategy literature.